Sunday, August 25, 2013

Mom's 35th Birthday

My family is the best.  Seriously.  Henry, Jonah and Bridget take birthdays very seriously, and they were determined that this would be my best birthday ever.  They wanted it to be special.  :)

The day started out with getting Sam and the boys ready to head out to their hunting lease.  After we got them out the door, Bridget and I got ready to go to IHOP for breakfast.  What a treat to eat out with my girl!  We did our best to match (Bridget picked a black/white dress for her self and a black/white skirt for me), and we thoroughly enjoyed our time together.  

After breakfast we had to head back home to get my birthday cake made.  (Raspberry filled vanilla cake...yum!)  We worked on that, and then got the house cleaned up so that we would be ready to party when the guys got home.  We also found time for a quick run to the end of the street and Bridget gave me a piano lesson...so sweet. 

I'm not sure I've ever had the birthday song sung to me so many times in one day.  Jonah woke me up singing at 6:30, each of the kids sang individually and together, Brian texted me a song, Sam sang along to an interpretive dance on the fire place (eek!).  One of my favorites was the video my mom sent of her dogs 'singing' to me.  It cracked me up!

Sam and the kids decided to take me to Jason's Deli for dinner because it is my favorite place to eat.  We had a fun birthday dinner, including ice cream, of course!  Then we stopped by Barnes and Noble so Jonah could spend the gift card he won from the library's summer reading program.  He found a really fun balloon-animal book and will be learning how to make fun animals soon!

My favorite moment from dinner was when Henry almost slipped and told me what he got me for my birthday.  He said, "I can't wait for you to see your cho....whoa!  I almost told you what I got you!"  Totally teasing, I said, "It's okay, Henry.  You can say it.  I already know what it is.  Everyone at the table knows what it is."  Looking relieved, Henry blurted out, "Chocolate.  I'm really excited for you to see it!"  Sam said, "Henry!  You just told Mom what you got her!".  Henry sheepishly grinned and said, "You got me, mom."  Oops.  Well, at least I didn't know what kind he bought me.  :)

After that we went home for presents and cake.  The kids all picked out the sweetest things for me.  Sam bought me a new set of pots and pans, and he had it hidden in the garage.  I had to read the card in code and figure out where to go to find my gift, so that was fun!  I was really surprised by that.  What a thoughtful gift.

Overall, it was a pretty great way to celebrate my birthday!  I have the best family ever.

No comments: